FBX and X files cannot be shown correctly

Topics: User Forum
Jan 8, 2007 at 9:37 AM
I tried the FBX plugin recommended by Michael and exported some models for testing, unfortunately all of them have artifacts. You can get the model (exported both FBX and X format using "kW Xport") to have a look on them at:

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=255566

"bar_bone.fbx" shows with wrong Y/Z coordinate no matter I set the up-coordinate option as Y or Z.
"barskin.fbx" shows in correct coordinate, but abnormal scaling (originally it scales the same as barbone.fbx only).
"bar_physique.fbx" totally abnormal, may be due to the incompleteness of the FBX exporter.
And finally "jurman_skin.fbx" shows normal walking motion, but the chest and head affected with abnormal stretching.

I am trying to find out what is the problem, hopes anyone can help! Thanks!
Developer
Jan 9, 2007 at 10:47 AM
I tested your models on latest AnimationController. Here are my findings.

The jurman_skin.fbx was rendered incorrectly because of a bug in AnimationController - current implementation of AnimationController.FlattenSkeleton() works differently then Microsoft's MeshHelper.FlattenSkeleton(). That leads to incorrect bone indices. I think we should give up the AnimationController.FlattenSkeleton() and just pass bone indices from Content Pipeline explicitly, so that they are always exactly the same as in MeshHelper.FlattenSkeleton().

As a quick workaround for jurman_skin.fbx, you can just delete the "Bip01 Footsteps" bone.

As for problems with other models, I am completely at loss. I suspect that the orientation problem with bar_bone.fbx is just the way Microsoft's FBX importer works. You can fix such artefacts by doing additional processing in a custom model processor.
Developer
Jan 17, 2007 at 2:07 PM
Lots of issues fixed with latest changeset.
Coordinator
Jan 21, 2007 at 6:11 PM
These models all seem to work with the latest change set, thanks for posting the bug report.
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2007 at 5:09 AM
Well, the .x files all work. A couple of the fbx files are slightly off.
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2007 at 5:10 AM
If someone could load the fbx animations in some sort of fbx viewer (there are no free ones available) to confirm that they are the same as the .x files, that would be great.