General Project Discussion Thread

Topics: Developer Forum
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2006 at 2:29 PM
Post about the project here
Coordinator
Nov 21, 2006 at 6:51 AM
I'm working on a better animation structure to store animation data. 2 problems with the current:
1. part of content pipeline, and all runtime types should be different. Eventually I'll probably need to split the dll into two parts; 1 for content and 1 for runtime. To keep things simple I'll keep them grouped till its absolutely necessary to split it.
2. Only stores matrix frames
Developer
Nov 22, 2006 at 10:37 AM
I completely agree with your plans on re-designing runtime classes.

Animation classes in Managed DirectX can be a good source of inspiration for class names, property/method names, etc. and for general architecture.

Documentation for Managed DirectX seems to be removed from online MSDN, but is is part of downloadable DirectX SDK (in particular, the latest October 2006 SDK).

The following classes should be of interest:

Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.AnimationController
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.AnimationSet (+CompressedAnimationSet, KeyframedAnimationSet)
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.AnimationOutput

Coordinator
Nov 28, 2006 at 3:42 PM
I am going to start another rather large code overhaul, and introduce a new animation class to store animation data.

I've given it some thought and decided that the animation class will simply contain an array of frames that contain the model's absolute bone poses at each time step dt, where dt is 1/60 seconds.
Coordinator
Dec 2, 2006 at 8:20 PM
Blah.. I've been really busy the last few days, and will also be busy for the following few days. So, development for me will be on hold a few days.