Importer

Topics: Developer Forum
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2006 at 4:15 PM
This thread is for everything that has to do with the custom and built in importer.
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2006 at 4:16 PM
The importer should work for all skinned/unskinned models with Matrix animation keys and 1 texture per mesh. I'll add a few TODO's once I check in the source.
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2006 at 1:33 AM
Added support for multiple textures per mesh
Nov 20, 2006 at 8:00 AM
Everything compiled fine in my studio. Working on plugging into my engine atm. Will post more info as it works.
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2006 at 2:13 PM
Ah, so that's the problem. I kinda had to hack this one - I use a basic palette effect in the skinned animation code, but unfortunately, I can't find a way to compile it on the fly into a class, so what I did was find the current directory, write the shader into a file, and then tell it to build the content item into an XNB file. Then, when I run, it loads the content item.

Apparently this doesn't work on other people's computers, which is probably why noone has responded.

I guess I'll have to include the FX file in the release and force people to add it their project :(

The FX source code is in the BasicPaletteEffect file under the SourceCode property - I'll remove the auto writing code and add the FX file in the source code. And people will have to manually add it as content.
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2006 at 2:50 PM
OK i uploaded the FX file; you'll have to add it as content.

If you could unzip the new project under the releases section and see if it works that would be great.

If it doesn't try recompiling the source and adding the fx file as content.

I guess I'll be more careful about releases in the future, although this is sort of why I released it - so others could see if it works (it worked on my comp). But 30+ people downloaded it, and noone bothered to post the simple error in the forum, which would have allowed me to fix it far sooner.

Coordinator
Nov 20, 2006 at 2:52 PM
Also, if you want to test it out on cooler models, it works on tiny.x, but I couldn't put that in the demo for legal reasons.
Developer
Nov 21, 2006 at 2:59 AM
David,

Please don't be so impatient. We needed time to test your release. :)

Now I tested it and can confirm that it compiles and works (runs the "alien" animation correctly).

I am testing it with other animations, including "Tiny" model from DirectX SDK samples.
Will let you know the results.