Feedback and questions about next release

Topics: User Forum
Coordinator
Apr 7, 2007 at 4:14 PM
Edited Apr 7, 2007 at 4:20 PM
I feel at this point in time the library is quite stable. For example, it has a 100% success rate on all the models I have made and that have been sent to me that also run in directx mesh viewer. Also, profiling shows that it is adequately efficient in terms of both cpu and memory resources (i.e., running 10 ModelAnimators causes very few garbage collections, and they are all generation 0). It also has at least as many features as most other animation engines.

So, it is nearing the time for a final release. However, I would like to get some feedback (which, on the internet, is worth its weight in gold) from the community first.

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2007 at 4:16 PM
Edited Apr 7, 2007 at 4:22 PM
Here is an explanation of the only major change I have considered:

Because ModelAnimator uses Model as a publicly accessible property, some things can be confusing. For example, View and Projection is controlled directly on the effect, while World is controlled by the animator. The way to reduces this confusion would be to make ModelAnimators loaded through the pipeline, and create a wrapper around the internal model functionality. This would, for example, provide a way for the animator to detect when effects are changed. However, up to this point, I felt that the ease of use in the current implementation slightly outweighs the advantages of a 100% .NET guideline compliant, defensively coded alternate which hides the Model property.