Dual BvhImporter problem

Topics: Developer Forum
Apr 3, 2007 at 2:58 PM
Hi all.
Don't know if this problem has to do with the new release or if it is an old problem. I tried your Library back in release 1.0.1.0 but changed to Microsoft's own SampleAnimation thingy.
REALLY long story short:
Their library wasn't all that great since I can't get my own models into my game with animation and textures together. My problem starts really early as I can't even read the dwarfmodel this time. The error occured goes like this:

Error 1 The pipeline found two importers named "BvhImporter" ("Animation.Content.BvhImporter, Animation.Content, Version=1.0.0.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" and "Xclna.Xna.Animation.Content.BvhImporter, Xclna.Xna.Animation.Content, Version=1.0.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"). Rename or remove one of them. WindowsGame1


Anyone has any idea about this and how to avoid it?

Appreciate all help I can get.
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2007 at 4:12 PM
It's detecting an old version of the Bvh importer, which means that you have added multiple versions of the animation library dlls to the content pipeline. Go to the project properties, click the content pipeline tab, and remove the old reference (dll).
Apr 3, 2007 at 4:27 PM
Too bad I didn't import multiple DLLs. It's a fresh project since I wanted to understand everything that happens before I implement it into my real game.
So.
Fresh project, add the files, add references. But still. Old version. Where the heck does it come from?
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2007 at 5:34 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2007 at 5:36 PM
The pipeline will only display the assembly qualified names for importers that it finds. This means that, somehow, it thinks you have added 1.0.0.5 to the project. Version 1.0.0.5 was released February 11th, and there is no mention of 1.0.0.5 in the current release source code or assembly information.

This is the error i get when I add both the old version and the new version to the pipeline: http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8099/projecterrorui1.jpg

It sounds like an XNA Game Studio Express bug of the weirdest sorts. I can think of neither a cause nor a way to fix it short of an XNA game studio reinstallation.
Apr 4, 2007 at 5:44 AM
Solved it!
Exactly the message I got. Although I don't think it was an Xna bug, just a bit of a folder/import problem. I had managed to put the old files in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio Express\v1.0\References\Windows\x86 folder. So it probably just used that old file as a reference along with the new DLLs which I put in the project folder.
Thanks for the help though. After that problem was worked out we got the dwarf to animate within minutes. Now we are to try with our own animations, but so far: This is way better than anything Microsoft ever released. Thanks a bunch!