Content.Pipeline dll needed for redistributing the application

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 29, 2007 at 3:20 PM
I've written a program following the dwarf tutorial, but when i try to run the game on a PC with only the XNA Redistributable installed (instead of Game Studio Express) it doesn't work. It seems that it doesn't find the Microsoft.Xna.Frameork.Content.Pipeline DLL, that is not in the XNA redistributable, and following XNA developers' guides, it's not intended to be included on the redistributable package.

I wonder if having the content.pipeline dll released with the project is a requisite for the Animation Component Library to work...or simply there is a way to avoid this: i guess that if the content is not compiled at runtime it should be possible to solve the problem...but i'm not sure how...

Thanks
Coordinator
Mar 29, 2007 at 10:15 PM
I haven't investigated this, but the runtime doesn't use the pipleine dll in any way whatsoever. So, I would assume you would just build the content on your computer and distribute the .xna files.
Mar 31, 2007 at 2:37 PM
Mmmmh...Sorry for being so noob, but i just followed the tutorial to make the dwarf walk and run, and i get this problem: what should I exactly change to avoid it? Thanks
Coordinator
Mar 31, 2007 at 5:17 PM
Have you been able to games working on other computers without the library? For example, space wars? I think this is more a question of learning how to share games that have built their content through the pipeline than the library in particular.
Apr 1, 2007 at 5:02 PM
I tried Space Wars and it does not work too...But I don't get the error about the pipeline.

Anyway I was thinking that maybe there was something about the library for the reply I got here from a XNA developer:
http://creators.xna.com/forums/thread/4125.aspx

I'm still a bit confused :(
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2007 at 10:45 PM
Edited Apr 1, 2007 at 10:47 PM
Judging from that post, it should be possible to run the library on such a computer. I can VNC connect to my home computer some time (which doesn't have xna gse) to test it out, but it's in use right now.

Basically, you just need to put the compiled content pipeline files into a the same folder relative to your compiled exe. I.e., if your compiled executable is in C:\MyGame\game.exe, and your xnb files are in C:\MyGame\Content, your xnb files always have to be in .\Content relative to your executable.

That probably doesn't make sense to someone who is new to xna\C#, but I'll clarify it if I can confirm that it works.