Skeleton animations not animated properly

Topics: User Forum
Mar 21, 2007 at 5:54 AM
I am trying to animate a scene involving a model walking from one place to another.
I used Maya and I attached(smooth bind) a humanoid model to a skeleton with 4 IK Handlers, two for hands and two for legs.
I animated a "Walk" loop by manipulating the IK handlers as usual( to simulate the swinging of hands and legs), setting the keyframes, then exporting to .FBX and running it using the animation Component.
It actually works, as in, the Animation component can animate and loop the walk sequence.

Now I tried to "Move " this Model (with the walk loop animation) to simulate Walking from one place to another.
I tried two things:
1. I created a simple straight line curve then attach it as a Motion Path for the model. It works nicely on Maya, but once i exported it, the animation controller is not animating it correctly! It does funny transformations like stretching and deforming etc.

2. I also tried just moving the whole skeleton+model from the origin and then set a keyframe in another position on the scene. It still does not animate correctly in XNA.

Does anyone else have the same issue when creating animations with both skeletons/ motion paths?
Is this a problem with the animation controller or is it something to do with the way I animated the scene or something to do with the FBX exporter? (I used the one which comes with Maya Extra tools)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Coordinator
Mar 21, 2007 at 6:52 PM
Edited Mar 21, 2007 at 6:53 PM
It has to do with the FBX exporter (or perhaps the xna fbx importer?) most likely. The animation info seems to be exported wrong... you can test this by exporting to .X and fbx. It will import the model info exactly the same in both formats, but the animation info for the fbx will be different (and wrong).

I have had a world of trouble with animation in fbx files, and suggest that .X are used.
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2007 at 8:40 PM
Edited Mar 21, 2007 at 8:45 PM