mesh with no hierarchy?

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 28, 2007 at 8:06 PM
i'm trying to get this work, i have animated mi first mesh with byped and physiqued modifier, but in that case the component didn't work for me, now i have maded another mesh using bones and the skin modifier and when i export to .fxb or .x file format the compiler send me this error

no HIERARCHY found
Fragment identifier "line 1"

what this mean ?
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2007 at 8:37 PM
Edited Feb 28, 2007 at 8:39 PM
In the first case, if your model animates in the .X viewer and not with the library, then that is a problem :) Does it display correctly in the .X viewer?

In the second case, the problem is related to the XNA framework importer and/or your exporter and not related to any of the animation library code. So, unfortunately, I can't really give you any advice except to say that it is a problem related to the skeletal structure. Someone posted a problem related to this earlier today and said they fixed it, so maybe they can give some advice.
Feb 28, 2007 at 9:01 PM
when i use the xna importer and proccesor the model show fine in the game windows, when i switch to de component library the error show up.
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2007 at 9:10 PM
Edited Feb 28, 2007 at 9:11 PM
Only place in the code that has that error is the BVH importer. I don't know how this can be called if you are using a .X file. Could you perhaps send me the model at david_astle@hotmail.com ? It will of course be kept confidential.
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2007 at 5:24 PM
The model you sent me works fine for me. Since the only possible reason (as far as I can tell) that the error you posted can show is if the BVH importer is used, I suggest you make sure that the BVH importer isn't selected in your project.
Mar 2, 2007 at 1:42 AM
what importer do i need to use to get the model work ?
Mar 3, 2007 at 2:02 PM
hello again, i have solve the no hierarchy issue, thank you for all your help, but now i have this error when i try to use the library

Error 1 'Animation.BonePose' does not contain a definition for 'CurrentController'
Error 2 'Animation.BonePose' does not contain a definition for 'CurrentBlendController'
Mar 3, 2007 at 5:31 PM
Edited Mar 3, 2007 at 5:35 PM
yes, i get the same problem.

while i am here, i would like to ask about models and xml documentation. the main question is - once i manage to merge this library with my project, how do i build models to be animated? i understand modelling, rigging, skeletons, etc etc. what i would like to know is - should i structure the skeleton hierarchy in a particular way? name the bones in a particular way? everything will go? then - i see the .x file contains more then 1 animation set. how do i define more then 1 animation in maya? a little explanation about this would be nice. lastly, i know very little about xml, how do i build it? can you give some examples? maybe a template?

oh, another thing - what if i want to change the shader on the fly - lets say i wanna petrify the dwarf, of make him transparent. do you support this? do i have to add it?

anyway, this is good work, you save my time, since i do not have to code the importer all by myself, so you deserve my respect.
Mar 3, 2007 at 9:17 PM
problem solved, call CurrentAnimation instead of CurrentController, and CurrentBlendAnimation nstead of CurrentBlendController
Mar 4, 2007 at 12:43 AM
thank you i have my animation running well, if you need a template for the xml file, i have used the one that came in the sample tutorial, if you know about programming you will understand quickly the way to build your own xml animation file, use the file that came in the sample tutorial, i have used it and i have wrote my own xml animation file, thank you again.
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2007 at 2:32 AM
Once again I have to apologize for not having the next release out. I've been continuously busy with real work, but I will get it out as soon as possible.

The Controller/Animation issue is because the tutorial is in the middle of rework to be compatible with the next release, and I changed CurrentAnimation to CurrentController to keep the naming consistent.

I will release a wiki explaining how to create an xml with the next source release... but as daimaku said, if you know xml (which is actually very basic; just google it), you can figure out how to make your own animation xml by studying the dwarf one.

There is no way that you have to structure your skeleton, except the XNA framework importers require that your skeleton has one root (in other words, all bones are connected).

If you want to store more than 1 animation in a .X file, and your exporter doesn't support this feature, you have a couple of options: you can export the animations into another file format, or use an XML file to split up an animation.

You can change the shader on the fly, and I will be providing an example on how to do this with the next source release. All you need to do is call the InitializeEffectParams (or something like that) after you change the shader - and it must have a MatrixPalette parameter for skinned meshes and a World matrix parameter. I will give a tutorial on how to make custom effects with matrix palette parameters as well for the next release.
Mar 4, 2007 at 1:11 PM
thanks, looking for that stuff!