Wow, works a treat on the XBox360

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 23, 2007 at 11:58 AM
Hi -- just wanted to drop a quick note to say that I tried for the first time in a long time to get this built and working on the XBox360. It worked on the first try! I can't believe how cool that is.

For my setup, I have a separate 360 Project where I've "Added as Link" all the bits from the Animation Library. I use the same build for the Content Pipeline as I do for x86.

In my game, the only thing missing from my original Managed DirectX implementation now is a normal map on the character (which is the second bitmap applied to his mesh). I will have a look at what would be involved in adding that in. Dastle, you beat me to the punch the other day with the fog, so I still haven't learned enough about how the Effects work.

I've been trying to avoid having life get in the way of this project all week... and now it's the weekend... so I have a feeling I know what will happen :)
Coordinator
Feb 23, 2007 at 10:11 PM
Edited Feb 23, 2007 at 10:12 PM
I'll try to get a tutorial on how to make custom effects up tomorrow. Or maybe today If I can squeeze out the time. It really isn't hard; just make your own effect with a World and MatrixPalette parameter and set the effects of your model before creating a ModelAnimator.

But, yeah, to get things like fog and skinning on a custom effect you'll need to know how that stuff works inside a shader (BasicPaletteEffect source is a good starting point). There is definitely enough room left in the pixel shader of BasicPaletteEffect to add normal mapping. I put the vast majority of computation in the Vertex Shader.