jaycekay

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 14, 2007 at 7:33 PM
I tried to run the tutorial after setting up the project as directed. The project will compile but not run, giving an unknown exception error for the dwarfmodel file. I tried to run the dwarfmodel.x within DirectX (Viewer). I get an error as well, indicating the model might be corrupt. What did I miss?? Thanks for the help.
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2007 at 8:44 PM
Judging from your post on the front page, you do not have a shader 2.0 capable card. The library currently requires shader 2.0. I probably won't provide support for 1.1 because that requires me to not only write a 1.1 matrix palette effect, but to also create code that splits the model up into different mesh parts that use different bones. If someone writes the code for this, I'd be glad to add it. As for the model not running in directx viewer - that's because it was exported from Milkshape's exporter, which is pretty good, but sometimes a little buggy. My importer makes up for some common exporter mistakes, which is why it runs using the library.
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2007 at 8:44 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2007 at 8:45 PM
Feb 14, 2007 at 9:07 PM
Thanks for your support, dastle. I think I have to head out to get a new graphics card. What do you think, is it possible to extend the tutorial to a full blown version, from getting the model and animation out of the model editor (I am using 3ds max) and over to XNA (maybe with *.fbx export), including more on xml file setup, etc., so that a guy like me just staring with XNA can create his own character and animation? I have the feeling going through a lot of tutorials this is something what is missing, because it is either programming or art creation. I'd like to see filling this gap eventually.
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2007 at 9:48 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2007 at 9:49 PM

dastle wrote:
Thanks for your support, dastle. I think I have to head out to get a new graphics card. What do you think, is it possible to extend the tutorial to a full blown version, from getting the model and animation out of the model editor (I am using 3ds max) and over to XNA (maybe with *.fbx export), including more on xml file setup, etc., so that a guy like me just staring with XNA can create his own character and animation? I have the feeling going through a lot of tutorials this is something what is missing, because it is either programming or art creation. I'd like to see filling this gap eventually.

There are plenty of tutorials out there for modeling. I actually just learned how to do modeling w/animation recently. Really, any model with an animation that you make in 3ds or maya is exportable to xna. I will provide more info on the XML file, however, which is something you have to create based on how you keyframe your model in the 3D program.
Feb 14, 2007 at 10:29 PM
Are you generating the XML file by hand, or from a maxscript/MEL script/etc.?
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2007 at 1:15 AM
Edited Feb 15, 2007 at 1:15 AM
By hand.