Anyone have Animation Library working with a physics engine like Farseer, etc.?

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:37 AM
Edited Feb 9, 2009 at 2:45 AM
I want to implement a physics engine (just a 2D physics one, because i will only be moving my 3D objects on the x axis and the view will be a fixed isometric overhead view).  just wondering if anyone has implemented a physics engine such as Farseer, etc.?

I figure I will have to use animate some 2D geometry that will mimick the positions of the 3D objects for collision detection in the 2D physics engine.  Any better ideas?

I was told over in the farseer forum that creating a black and white mask from each 3D object in the scene and using that as a collision sprite to test for collisions would probably be too processor intensive.
Feb 16, 2009 at 8:20 AM
Hi Chancet,

I'm no programming wiz or anything, so take this with a grain of salt!

I'm using JigLibX for physics right now.  I *just* now discovered that the Animation Component here has a working build for XNA 3.0 so I'm going to start trying to get it working for me --
BUT - for your problem, you may be able to use JigLibX.  Within it you can create either a "Physics Controller" or a "Physics Constraint" fairly easily that will keep your object constrained to the YZ plane.  I'm planning on doing something similar to this soon -- I am going to take a shot at a 2d platformer with 3d assets.  (Which might be what you're working on, also)

~Alex
Feb 16, 2009 at 8:26 AM
thanks sooo much for letting me know this alex.  i believe someone else recommended JigLibX to me as well.  This ""Physics Controller" or a "Physics Constraint" is probably the answer to what we're looking for!  Good luck and let me know how things go with you, i'll try to help you with anything i find out as well.
Feb 20, 2009 at 1:44 AM
I agree with AleXna. I'm also using the JigLibX physics system. I'm currently in the process of designing several games where each game uses JigLibX. I'm currently working on animations for one of my games that has characters in it. It's a 3D game though. So, I'll be starting with the animation component library for the animation stuff. Once I have something working with both JigLibX and the Animation Component library, I'll post my results on here. You can also keep up with the progress of my games over at my site http://www.everydayxna.com. I used the animation component for one of my earlier games and had no problems with it. So, I'm hoping that the integration of the 2 libraries will work without any problems.
Feb 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM
Nice site - I am watching you, now. (Watching yoooOOoOOouuUUu!)

The RSS link doesn't work.  =(
Feb 20, 2009 at 8:25 PM
Yeah. I'm still working on the site. Hope to have the RSS working this weekend. Between working a normal job 7am - 4pm, owning and operating a web design & hosting company on the side, designing several websites, several games, writing tutorials & blogs, building all of the electronics that I do, squeezing in time for Call of Duty 4, and most importantly - maintaining a stable relationship with my girlfriend who lives with me, I stay busy pretty much 23 out of the 24 hours in a day. But, XNA is now my passion. So, I'm trying to learn as much as I can and share what I can while I can.