Best 3D modeler for XNA?

Topics: User Forum
Jan 25, 2007 at 8:12 PM
Greetings all;

What modeling package(s) do you folks recommend for working with XNA? We're going to purchase a modeling tool (Maya, Lightwave, 3D Studio) based on compatibility with the .X format and this animation tool in particular.

What modeler and version do you recommend?

Thanks,
John
Coordinator
Jan 25, 2007 at 9:06 PM
I would try out the free trial versions and see which one you like best. The XNA importer doesn't work well with the default Maya .x exporter, but the fbx exporter seems to work fine.
Jan 25, 2007 at 9:35 PM
Thanks Dastle!

Honestly, we'll probably contract someone to work with whatever software you folks recommend. My primary concern a the moment is compatibility with your animation componentand the ability to export to the .X format.

Thanks,
JohnD
Jan 25, 2007 at 10:53 PM
Blender seems to be pretty popular from what I've read on the forums, and it has a .x export functionality (but a horrible UI).

I personally prefer 3d Studio Max, but it's a little too much for me to want to buy.

Jan 25, 2007 at 11:47 PM
Just a warning for Blender, their exporters tend to be a little odd. They offer 2 .X options that have worked fine so far for me but I've had some trouble in the past. MilkShape seems to work ok but is very tough to work with.