Content Creation with MilkShape3D

Topics: User Forum
Jan 1, 2007 at 12:39 AM
I was able to use MilkShape3D to import a HalfLife model with animations and export to .X for testing in this library. Using MilkShape I was also able to convert an .FBX to .X .

Both worked AWESOME! Thank you for the hard work!

I did notice the .X import did not work in the animation library until I made the following minor tweak to your model importer.

File: XModelImporter.cs (Line 239ish)

was: if(token == "TextureFilename")

is now: if(token == "TextureFilename" || token == "TextureFileName")

MilkShape3D exported a different camel case which your importer did not understand. Maybe it should be case insensitive?
Coordinator
Jan 3, 2007 at 12:26 AM
The .X file documentation by Microsoft gives template definitions that specify the exact names for templates, and they are not camel cased. I didn't see anywhere where it said template headers are case insensitive in the docs, so it is probably an error with Milkshape. I don't think it will hurt to add that change though.
Jan 3, 2007 at 4:21 AM
I agree. I was noting the issue to help the MilkShape3d users. The 3D file format conversion features in MilkShape3D are fairly good and the product only costs $25. (Perfect for us budget 3D game developers...)

Like you mentioned in the other thread your .X importer works better than Microsoft’s. (Big THANK YOU)

I’m not sure why MilkShape exports a different case for the texture token but it was an issue, I thought, that may hinder users from utilizing your animation library.

They could just edit the .X file each time they export vice modify the animation library.