Plans for Next Release

Topics: Developer Forum
Coordinator
Dec 7, 2006 at 10:38 PM
I've gotten hold of some better sample models from an artist friend, and he's agreed to let me use in the sample.

So, my plans for the next release is to give demonstrations for:

- rendering many meshes at once
- using input to control the animation (hopefully get a model to walk around)
- using an animation factory to create dynamic animations with forward kinematics (isn't implemented in code yet but isn't too hard)
Developer
Dec 8, 2006 at 3:01 PM
I would suggest the following features for next releases:

1) Model Viewer in the form of GameComponent. It would take one parameter - model name - and load the model, calculate bounding sphere for it, draw the model with the first animation, and possibly rotate the model.

This is a very simple thing that can potentially help people who are new to the library. I see lots of people are having trouble getting their animated models show up on the screen (most often, the problems are caused by external importers and exporters). So having a default model viewer can be a significant help - if your model doesn't show up in default model viewer then your model is not OK. Right now, I believe many people are spending significant time trying to figure out if they correctly use the Animation Library in their code.

The AnimationDemo project is somewhat similar, but a Model Viewer in the form of GameComponent would be more handy, and it can be a part of library source code which is easier to maintain.

I will contribute my version of the Model Viewer.

2) Putting animations and skinning info into the "Tag" field of the model seems to be a bad practice. It is too obscure. I suggest that Animation Library should define a SkinnedModel (or similar) class, with explicit fields for skinning info and animations.

Coordinator
Dec 10, 2006 at 6:08 PM
Yes, I was thinking a lot about how to deal with the second issue you mention. One idea is definitely to make a wrapper class, as you say, that has a model and its animation info. The problem with this is that it complicates things in terms of extensibility; it will become a lot harder to extend the processor.