XNA 3.1 - Missing Assembly Reference? XML Format?

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 20, 2010 at 3:23 AM

Hi,

Been at this for a couple of days now.  I'm new to XNA and C# and having some trouble getting this library running in my own project.  I add a reference to Xclna.Animation360.dll.  Previously Xclna.Animationx86.dll, but since I've been having troubles I got the source and compiled it into what I think is a workable dll for the xbox 360.  I added a refernce to Xclna.Xna.Animation.Content.dll as well.  This dll, however, does not originate from the same method as above, because for some reason I was getting a compile error "The type or namespace name 'Pipeline' does not exist in the namespace.  The using directive seemed fine and the newest (3.1.0.0) assembly was referenced.  I don't understand why I couldn't compile the content.dll.  Nevertheless, adding the content.dll I got from downloading directly allowed me to compile fine.

My original problem arose when I added the dwarfmodel.x and dwarfmodelanimation.xml files to the content folder.  I set the dwarfmodel importer/processors based on the guide (Animation Library).  Upon doing that, I get a compiler error now as follows:

'XML is not in the XNA intermediate format.  Missing XnaContent root element'.

I set the properties of the XML to "Build Action: None" and "Copy to Output Directory: Copy if newer" and I finally compile.

All of this is very foreign to me, I don't understand the content pipeline, why things (assets and such) need to be added before execution, etc...I feel like I'm fumbling in the dark a bit trying to mimic others' projects and get something compiling.  I'm a little doubtful this will run appropriately.  If anyone can clarify a couple of the problems I encountered above, especially that mind-boggling namespace issue I'd greatly appreciate it.  I'm in learning mode and just want to absorb as much as possible; get my feet wet so to speak.  I appreciate the time, and I apologize if this post started out as a direct question and ended with a very open concern.

-Matt

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:34 AM

I think this is all related.  Sorry for the long posts and such, btw...I've been really wanting/trying to get this working.  In any case, I progress up to creating/setting the dwarf's idle animation and shortly after deploying I get an unhandled exception as follows:

An unhandled exception of type 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException' occurred in Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll 

Additional information:  Error loading "dwarfmodel".  Cannot find ContentTypeReader Xclna.Xna.Animation.Content.AnimationReader, Xclna.Xna.Animation360, Version=1.0.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.

I feel incredibly close to getting this working, mostly because I finally build cleanly and get to deploy, however this stops execution immediately.  Can anyone lend me a helping hand, I'd greatly appreciate the help.  Like I said, I'm very new, however I'm assuming this has to do with my setting the xml to not compile, and instead copy at runtime (whatever that actually means).

Thanks again for the help and eagerly awaiting!

-Matt

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I have the problem ,too