What is special about the dwarf model?

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:32 PM
What is special about the dwarf model that will not allow the regular XNA Xfile importer to not work?

If you try to use it, the vs error is:
"Could not read the X file. The file is corrupt or invalid. Error code: E_FAIL."

The error message is too generic to give a clue. Any enlightenment would be great.

BTW, anyone having luck using FBX files with version 2 yet?
Jan 20, 2008 at 11:21 PM
It has to do with the skinning information in the x file. XNA doesn't support skinning by default.
Jan 22, 2008 at 9:39 PM
Edited Jan 22, 2008 at 9:44 PM

gorky wrote:

BTW, anyone having luck using FBX files with version 2 yet?

Just last night I was finally able get a .fbx model to animate using the Animation Component Library in XNA. I created the model in blender 2.45 and exported the file using BBBs exporter at this site: http://www.triplebgames.com/downloads.html and elSibor's updated dlls and dwarf tutorial method found on this thread: http://www.codeplex.com/animationcomponents/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=19730

It exports the model backwards and upside down, and when I turned the model upside down, but didn't turn it backwards it exported fine. I don't know exactly what it's doing, but I did eventually get it to work. ^_^ It was a happy day.
Jan 28, 2008 at 8:10 PM

ddbrown30 wrote:
It has to do with the skinning information in the x file. XNA doesn't support skinning by default.

You sure?
The XNA creators club has a sample called skinnedAnimation. In that example, a skinned model is used. They also use the regular XFile importer to bring it in. After that they use a custom content processor to setup the animations. The dwarf model is skinned just like "dude" from that demo.
I guess part of the reason I asked, was to find out not only what makes the dwarf different, but why did Dastle created his own XFile importer code? Since I cannot look at Microsofts code, I can only ponder over the potential differences between importers.
Jan 28, 2008 at 8:13 PM

spacefly wrote:

It exports the model backwards and upside down, and when I turned the model upside down, but didn't turn it backwards it exported fine. I don't know exactly what it's doing, but I did eventually get it to work. ^_^ It was a happy day.

Congrats.