X model from MAX not animating

Jan 5, 2008 at 9:50 PM
Edited Jan 5, 2008 at 10:01 PM
My animator has exported a model with animation from Max, and we can't get it animating. First of all, the model won't compile at all. I traced the problem, and it seems that in the MeshMaterialList, the nMaterials variable is expected to be the same as the number of material references (named materials - e.g. { pantmaterial }). For some reason this isn't the case in our model - nMaterials is always a few larger that the number of listed materials. (see this in test10original.X, below).

Once I change nMaterials to match the actual number of listed materials, the model compiles. It then loads just fine, and will even display. However, it won't animate. It appears to load all the animation just fine, but won't actually animate anything. I have no idea why it's not animating, and my animator can't figure it out either, so I was wondering if anyone has encountered this issue before and might know what the problem is?

Here is a zip file containing the original model (test10_original.X), the hand-modified model file (test10.X) and a simple animations XML file.

http://www.kyleschouviller.com/files/modelAnimationTest.zip
Sep 3, 2008 at 10:32 PM
Edited Sep 3, 2008 at 10:33 PM
Try changing the ticks per second on your xml file.  It seems to be different depending on your machine. Mine works with 30.   I am using max 9 and kW exporter.   I was successful in loading a biped made by me.  I am now having problem with a model with bones that I made.  There is a strange cyclic movement that is not present in my animation.  The X file looks well on the DirectX viewer but not in my game.