Is that project idle?

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:19 PM
I was just wandering where all the developers went... Where is dastle and mikonov? Half a year has passed since the last release. We really like this library and we want it to be continued. I would be happy to help coding if only I had some more time....but where are the other guys? Anyone who knows anything about them or the future of the project, please let us know!
Feb 25, 2008 at 2:04 PM
^Up^
I'm also interested if we can expect some support here :)
Are there any alternatives for importing x files + animations into c#? (not even neccessairily xna)
Mar 10, 2008 at 12:07 PM
The fixed code that supports XNA 2.0 is really even better, using hlsl. think the problem is that 3d suites is the WORST example of interoperability and portability in the computer software industry. Even files created within the same application may be impossible to re-open!!!
So it is very difficult for a library developer to create importers and processors that import correctly each and every kind of broken-specifications file (i don't thing specifications exist either). If we, at any time, try to continue this project, we must concentrate in a specific standard filetype that can be easily exported and imported by all major 3d packages.
What do you think?
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2008 at 7:51 AM
Edited Mar 14, 2008 at 7:58 AM
Hi. On the last release, I felt the code was stable enough for the time. I was idle for an extended period of time due to a full time summer job and academic work. I'm going to check over all the comments on this site and see how to go forward from here. If there is enough interest, I'll think about continuing to expand the library rather than just fix bugs.
Mar 17, 2008 at 1:43 PM

dastle wrote:
Hi. On the last release, I felt the code was stable enough for the time. I was idle for an extended period of time due to a full time summer job and academic work. I'm going to check over all the comments on this site and see how to go forward from here. If there is enough interest, I'll think about continuing to expand the library rather than just fix bugs.

Hi David, we are very glad you are back. Time is short for me too, but I could help to the project in a way or another, if that makes things better. Some guys have ported the library to XNA 2.0, using HLSL and it seems to work for me, most of the time (except for the well-known filetypes incompatibility trouble). I think this is a good point to start.
You shouldn't even think about "interest". I haven't heard of many open source projects that have about 700 visits per week, while being idle!!! If all the bugs could be found and fixed, this library should be an integral part of XNA 3.0 or let's say 4.0. The difficult part here is to reproduce each and every incompatibility problem and fix it in a non-hacky way.

Thanks again
Mar 20, 2008 at 6:00 AM
Dastle! Good to see you back!

I can definitely say that I will be continuing to use the ACL for current and future projects, I love it.
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2008 at 5:58 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback. I'll continue the project in the near future and start by porting it to 2.0.
Developer
Apr 12, 2008 at 9:36 PM
Edited Apr 12, 2008 at 9:37 PM
Hi everybody. Since my name is mentioned here I feel obliged to respond.

Mnikonov is currently busy working hard to bring you something new and exciting:

www.shoot3d.biz

(this is just a taste of things to come). I can say that I'll be contributing some interesting things to ACL in the near future.

And thank you for your feedback!
Apr 22, 2008 at 2:04 AM
Hi dastle, mikonov... and elSibor
I am just writing to let you know that I am hoping to see the official port to XNA 2.0 soon, and to tell you that this project has more impact on the XNA that you may think. I have tested elSibor port to 2.0 and It works, so it may be a good way to start the official release.
Thanks again.