How to export your biped model to .X from 3D Max

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Aug 16, 2007 at 7:48 PM
I read a lot of discussions but none of them really said how to export my model to the .X format and be supported by ACL. Well after a week of expirementing I finally got it right and i thought i should share. First of all, i am using biped but instead of the Physique modifier i used Skin and added all the bones... When exporting the only modifier in the modifier stack should be the skin modifier. Collapse everything else. Hide the bones. To export I am using Panda Exporter. In the first pane you have to select "Include Animation" and "Bones". Deselect "Dummy" from object types. In the animation pane click add. Give the name you plan to use in the xml file under <animation> and include all the frames of your animations. In the "Key Options" select "Matrix" and below it select "Key Frames".

Then click OK and pray ;p.
Sep 3, 2008 at 10:50 PM
Edited Sep 4, 2008 at 12:04 PM
I will share my successful experience as well.  I used Physique and Biped.   I didn't use envelopes, but attached vertices manually.

1.  After you have your model ready,  apply a Reset Xform  (it's on Utilites).  Then use collapse to. 
2. After you haver your bones,  apply Collapse to their stack.  To all of them.
3.  Assign vertices to bones.
4. Animate.
5.  Export using kW exporter.  Remember to put a keyframe at the end of the animation.   Start the animation on 1. Because 0 is the static frame. 
6.  Take out the textures/  prefix so the x.file looks for the texture locally.   Export skinning,  on animation name put animations (or any other name).  Set the number of frames (according to your max file).
7. Your xml file should be something like this: (look at where I write animations again) (for ticks per second you should look at the framerate you are exporting with (it is shown on the exporter as you export), if it is wrong you will have your animations compressed and frames won't match).

<animation>
    <name>animations</name>
    <tickspersecond>30.0</tickspersecond>
    <animationsubset>
        <name>walk</name>
        <startframe>100</startframe>
        <endframe>200</endframe>
    </animationsubset>
    <animationsubset>
        <name>idle</name>
        <startframe>1</startframe>
        <endframe>100</endframe>
    </animationsubset>
    <animationsubset>
        <name>idletoblock</name>
        <startframe>200</startframe>
        <endframe>211</endframe>
    </animationsubset>
</animation>

8.  Remember to rebuild everytime you changer your xml file. 

I am now having something strange happenning when I use a model with bones I made.  There is a weird movement in one of the bones.  Do any of you knows what it could be?
Sep 8, 2008 at 12:55 AM
Just a single line to thank you guys.