Animations Loading With 0 Duration

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:20 AM
I am able to load Maya-exported models nearly perfectly. I tried to run one (Idle-d helicopter that loops...) but looking at the data stepping through the code showed me there is no duration on my animations.

I successfully loaded 3 different animations (with no duration, though), which says a lot about what I've gotten to work so far (but at the same time how far I have to trek to get something working that looks good!)

So, back to the beginning - loading the animations. Anyone have any pointers what I need to do (or what I need to explain more)?

Thanks,
Grorange
Aug 10, 2007 at 11:56 PM
Here's my .xml file:

<animation>
<tickspersecond>15.0</tickspersecond>
<animationsubset>
<name>Off</name>
<startframe>1</startframe>
<endframe>2</endframe>
</animationsubset>
<animationsubset>
<name>Idle</name>
<startframe>510</startframe>
<endframe>540</endframe>
</animationsubset>
<animationsubset>
<name>ChargeUp</name>
<startframe>1</startframe>
<endframe>500</endframe>
</animationsubset>
</animation>

Which doesn't appear to have anything wrong with it. The names load up properly, but with no duration.
Aug 12, 2007 at 4:41 AM
Ok, there is something I'm missing. I feel like it is one small stupid thing.

I looked around some and found a .x exporter for Maya. I got this working and got a .x file for my helicopter. Loads fine, but I can't get it to animate.

Does anyone know of a tutorial (or can someone create one?) that takes a beginner from start to finish in creating an animated object from Maya to use within a game (specifically, this component library preferably).

I have the process down, but I'm missing one small thing... thanks in advance for whoever helps me out.

Thanks,
Grorange
Aug 18, 2007 at 7:54 PM
I figured out it is not the animation library or my programming. I loaded the dwarf model and its animations into my "test application" and simply ran the walk animation and it worked. Therefore, it has to be something with the file I'm exporting out of Maya.

At least I'm getting somewhere...
Aug 19, 2007 at 11:34 PM
Here is my process for creating an animated object from Maya:

1. Model
2. Setup Bone Structure
3. Bind Rigid Skin
4. Define Bone-Vertex Relationship
- Select the Geometry (or Mesh)
- Menu Item Deform->Paint Set Memebership Tool
- Open Tool Settings Panel
- Repeat For All Bones
-- Add/Remove Vertices that are Affected by Current Bone
5. Animate Object
- For Each "Clip" Set Range of Animation
-- Position Each Bone, Set Keyframes
-- In .xml File, Define Range for Each "Clip"
6. Export

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Please and thank you.
Grorange
Aug 25, 2007 at 1:07 PM
Well, i am exporting models using 3ds Max, but i hade the same problem - 0 duration. Using Panda X exporter as suggested by the author....

Still after setting all the parameters (as suggested in the website) , i had animation with 0 duration.
After some experimenting, i've found out that in Animation->TimeLine->'3ds max ticks' should be checked instead of 'KeyFrames',
after that animation was played correctly... It's hard to say where the bug is, cause with some parameters Panda exporter was crashing.

Hope at least this helps